Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Happy Roses


I love roses, especially the wild and antique varieties - those which have not been hybridized for perfectly straight stems and tea rose shapes and have lost their scents in the process.  I have several varieties of these roses planted by our front porch. 


They are a faithful bunch, living through difficult times when I neglect them, still blooming here and there, then responding and recovering quickly when I finally come back to them with a little TLC.


I saw new buds everywhere this morning.  I fertilized them two weeks ago; and now, with all the rain we've had from the tropical storm, they are super happy.  This week, I also spread compost around their feet.  It usually takes about three weeks for them to burst into bloom after good feeding, deep watering and a light trim, which they got today.


It has been ten years or longer since we planted our roses.  Some came with us from previous homes.  I would have to consult a rose book to find their names again, as their tags are all long gone. 
I was inspired after reading Our Forest Haven, whose owner wrote about the wild roses on her Alaska property and the tea she made with them. 
I picked the petals off three unsprayed roses...


...and trimmed the white base on each clump of petals as I read somewhere that it adds bitterness.


 Boiled for five minutes, sweetened with a little honey... Rose tea is a treat.

Our next project, Rose Petal Jelly.


Rose Petal Jelly

1 cup fresh, fragrant, unsprayed rose petals
Juice of one lemon
2 ½ cups sugar
1 package powdered pectin
1 ½ cups water

Rose petals are best gathered in the morning. Cut off the white base on each clump of petals as it adds bitterness.

Put petals, lemon juice, and 3/4 cup water in blender and blend until smooth. Gradually add sugar. Put mixture in sauce pan and stir in pectin, 3/4 cup water and boil the mixture hard for one minute, stirring constantly. Put it all back in the cleaned blender and stir until smooth. Pour into hot, sterile jars leaving 1/4- inch head space. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath, or freeze.

Linking with Blooming Tuesday.

3 comments:

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

What gorgeous roses--I particularly like the very first one pictured! Thank you so much for sharing them with us, and for sharing the rose recipes.

NanaK said...

You have some very pretty roses and I love that they are the old garden varieties. I've enjoyed growing a few myself. Having them planted by your front porch must bring smiles to your visitors.

luckybunny said...

Love it! It tastes so good doesn't it? :) Beautiful pictures :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails