Monday, February 21, 2011

Harvest Monday - Lettuce & Peas

I didn't have a chance to check on the garden or do any blogging last week, because we had the flu in the house. I'm hoping it's done with now as our youngest is without a fever this morning.


Just picked this big head of romaine lettuce.  It's my favorite - Jericho, here's what they say about it:
Bred for the hot desert of Israel, this robust, bolt-resistant variety stays sweet and crisp in hot weather. Holds up the best in summer heat of all varieties trialed in New Mexico research farm. Very large, medium green, dense 14-16" heads
We have several big ones in the garden looking like they are about to bolt... I think I'll be giving some away.  I found a recipe for braised romaine lettuce I'm going to use tonight.  It looks really good and has some five-star reviews.  If we like it, we'll use up a lot of it this way.

Don finished getting the beds ready on Saturday, and I mustered the energy to plant two and a half with okra and squash seeds. 


The peas are loving our warmer weather.  It's been in the 70's for a week and forecasted to stay that way for the next.  We're out of the woods!

I'm linking with Daphne's Harvest Monday again today. :)


13 comments:

Vintage Gal said...

Everything looks yummy ~ I can't wait to get my garden growing ;-)

becky3086 said...

That lettuce looks great. I need to try to remember the variety because we definitely need lettuce that is slow to bolt here.

kitsapFG said...

Sending my best positie vibes that the flu is done messing with you and your household and has moved on!

The peas and lettuce look absolutely yummy. Fresh greens are such a tonic to the soul after a long and dreary winter.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Have you tried grilling your romaine. It's delicious with frozen red wine vinegar scraped over the top and some Parmesan cheese grated on top, lots of salt and pepper. Yum!! What I wouldn't do for a head of that gorgeous lettuce.

A Kitchen Garden in Kihei Maui said...

Your Jericho lettuce looks beautiful! I've tried to grow this but it wasn't heat tolerant enough for my hot climate.

Robin said...

Romaine is one of my favorite lettuces to grow. Yours is gorgeous. Oh, and your peas...I just love peas!

Barbie said...

Peas look yummy. Giving it away, huh? Well I'm not far. ;-) teehee.
Hope everyone is right as rain soon!

Boho Farm and Home said...

I just found your blog thru Verde Farms and I love it! I am your newest follower and can't wait to here more!
xo,
Caroline of Boho Farm and Home

Buttons said...

Peas and Romain I am missing the greens.They look great. It is -14c here son I say to myself. B

Dirt Lover said...

Thanks for the info on the lettuce. I always have to pull out mine too early, as our summers get very warm very fast. Would be nice to be able to have lettuce later! Nice harvest, thanks for sharing.
~~Lori

Daphne said...

I've got some seeds for Jericho and hoping I like it. This year I'm going to do a seeding for spring and a seeding for summer with some different varieties. I haven't in the past as one of my favorites (red sails) is good in both seasons. But I'm expanding.

Mary said...

Glad to see all the comments this morning! I've already stopped by a couple of your blogs and will visit the rest soon. Thanks for stopping by, and I'm glad to see my new visitors too!

Oh, and Barbie, we should get together and do some garden bartering sometime!

~Mary

Kymberly Foster Seabolt said...

Your images alone are worth drooling over.

Here in the heartland there are no sweet fresh veggies THIS time of year, so thanks for letting me live vicariously through you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails