Thursday, November 4, 2010

Knitting and Baking, It is the Season

Bread in 5 minutes and Michael's stocking - weekend projects
We had a welcome rainy day today.  An overcast day in Florida is rare.  I thought it was a good day to make progress on my son's Christmas stocking and to spend some time reading a cookbook, of all things.

 Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day reads like a blog, isn't that fun?  I just picked up a copy at my library this morning.  I had it on hold for a few weeks, waiting for someone else to return it, so I could check it out.  It's a popular book.  I was tempted to buy it, but restrained myself - not easy as I love books!  If possible, I try to borrow books and only order them if the library doesn't have one I'm looking for, or if I check one out and like it so much that I know I'll go back to borrow it over and over.  Well, so far, this cookbook is looking like a keeper.  I'm looking forward to fresh loaves of bread from my oven this weekend to enjoy as the cold front moves in.

There is something about cooler weather that inspires me to knit.  The other thing I really like, aside from books, is wool.  I am sure that if I lived up north, I would have a couple of sheep out on the pasture.  Michael has been asking for a new Christmas stocking since before last Christmas, so I decided to start my knitting season with that project.  I found the free Fair Isle pattern at the Cascade website.  The girls have already put in a request for stockings in the same style as Michael's. The pattern is very versatile, with several patterns to mix and match.  So, I'm hoping for a few more rainy days before Christmas that will keep me indoors long enough to get them all done in time!

6 comments:

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

The stocking looks like it's going to be a beauty. And of course there is nothing like homemade bread. You are a very busy woman!!!

My Edible Yard said...

If I could only finish the knitting projects I've started! That stocking looks fab. Can't wait to see how the bread turns out.

Ara

Mary said...

Thanks to you both! I know what you mean, Ara. I've started many projects that were never finished. More often than not, it was because I didn't like the way they were turning out. But, I have finished enough to make it all worthwhile!

Kim said...

I had to check out your knitting, it's mind-boggling gorgeous. I'm sure Michael will love it.

Kim said...

Oops, I guess that would be "bogglingly".

Mary said...

LOL, Kim - you crack me up, thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails